Thu, Aug 10|
Teen Volunteer Workdays
We have heard from many high school students who would like to earn volunteer hours by working in our garden. In response, we are offering weekday morning volunteer opportunities to accommodate their busy schedules
Time & Location
Aug 10, 2023, 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM
San Diego, Zura Wy, San Diego, CA 92115, USA
About the event
College Area Community Garden is proud to now offer volunteer opportunities for teens!
We have heard from many high school students who would like to earn volunteer hours by working in our garden. In response, we are offering weekday morning volunteer opportunities to accommodate their busy schedules. Teenagers 15 years old and up are eligible to participate independently, with signed waivers and parental consent. Students aged 13 and 14 may also participate but must be accompanied by a responsible adult during their volunteering activities. If you are interested in participating, please follow the following simple steps:
1) Please fill out these forms prior to arriving:
2) RSVP to join us in the garden.
Join us for one or all of the following dates:
Wednesday, Aug 02, 2023, at 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM (2 hours) Thursday, Aug 03, 2023, at 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM (2 hours) Monday, Aug 07, 2023, at 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM (2 hours 30 minutes) Thursday, Aug 10, 2023, at 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM (2 hours)
3) Review our Volunteer Recommendations:
During their time volunteering, participants will engage in various activities such as weeding, watering, assembling small structures for plant support, spreading mulch, and sifting compost. Volunteers will be trained by garden leads prior to independantly performing tasks.
As volunteers become more familiar with the garden, they may participate in different activities and projects. Regular volunteers may also be given access to the garden to complete tasks outside of scheduled meeting times, allowing them to earn additional volunteer hours on their own schedule. We will be offering volunteer opportunities when school starts based on the schedules of the interested volunteers.
To ensure you have a comfortable and enjoyable experience, here are some important recommendations to follow:
- Dress Comfortably: The weather is expected to be warm, so we recommend wearing lightweight clothing suitable for outdoor activity. Layers are essential as temperatures may change throughout the day.
- Footwear: Please wear closed-toed shoes to protect your feet while working in the garden. Comfortable shoes with good traction are ideal for navigating the various terrains.
- Hydration is Key: Staying hydrated is crucial during our gardening event. Remember to bring your own water bottles and take sips regularly throughout the day. We'll also have water stations available for refills.
- Snacks: While we might have a treat or two during the event, it's always a good idea to bring some snacks along, especially if you think you'll get hungry. Keeping your energy up is essential for a productive day in the garden.
- Lunchtime: Feel free to bring your lunch and enjoy it amidst the beauty of the garden. We will have designated areas where you can relax and have your lunch while soaking in the serene surroundings.
- Ready to Work: Our garden will benefit greatly from your hard work and dedication. Be prepared to roll up your sleeves and engage in various gardening tasks, such as planting, weeding, mulching, and more.
- Long Sleeves and Pants: While long sleeves and pants are not mandatory, they can provide added protection from the sun and plant irritants. Wear what makes you feel comfortable while working outdoors.
- Amenities: For your convenience, we have restroom facilities available on-site. Additionally, parking spaces are provided for volunteers, so you don't have to worry about finding a spot.
We truly appreciate your willingness to contribute your time and effort to our garden. For questions or for more information please contact CACGTeenVolunteers@gmail.com